Entry Requirements

    Learn more about what Victoria Police is looking for in our PCO applicants—all candidates must ensure that they meet these entry requirements prior to applying.

    Friends Email

    Your Message

    Victoria Police as an employer has no tolerance for illicit or illegal drug use by an employee either in their work or private life.

    Victoria Police conducts extensive background checks on Police Custody Officer applicants during the selection process.
    Your previous history will be continually checked and assessed.  Failure to declare information may result in automatic cancellation of your application.

    If you have any prior convictions, cautions, diversions, good behaviour bonds or excessive driving offences and are unsure, then it is advisable that you submit a Voluntary Disclosure Form (VDF) prior to submitting an application to find out whether your prior history is likely to disqualify you from being considered for the role.

    All offences, including those that were committed as a juvenile must be disclosed in your application.

    If you have any contact with police during the selection process, you must inform the Recruiting Services Branch immediately via e-mail: pcoemployment@police.vic.gov.au

    There are no education requirements to become a Police Custody Officer however you must be at least 18 years of age to apply.

    The Victoria Police Act (2013) stipulates that you must be an Australian Citizen or hold Australian permanent residency to join Victoria Police.

    New Zealand citizens entering Australia are issued with a Special Category Visa (SCV) on arrival, provided they meet security, character and health requirements.

    On application to Victoria Police, you are obliged to provide proof of citizenship, permanent residency or special category visa status.

    Police Custody Officer Applicants must have a valid driver’s licence to apply that is issued in a state or territory within Australia. Upon induction into the Academy, a driver’s licence issued by the State of Victoria will be required unless the employee is residing in NSW. Probationary licences are accepted.   

    Applicants will need to provide proof of a first aid certificate (level 1) following on from receiving their provisional offer. The first aid certificate must still be valid for at least 12 months at this point in time.

    All costs associated with obtaining First Aid Certification will be incurred by the applicant.
    Victoria Police Medical Standards require a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 or less to apply for the Police Custody Officer role.

    BMI is a value derived from the weight and height of an individual and is an important indicator of an applicant's physicality.

    Where an applicant has a high level of fitness, yet exceeds the 30 BMI due to high muscle mass, we can look at other information to make an informed assessment, e.g. using a sum of skin folds test.

    We will consider borderline BMIs on a case by case scenario.

    Only enter numbers into the BMI calculator e.g. 170, not 170cm, then click ‘calculate now’ to determine your BMI.

    Height (cm):
    Weight (kg):
    Applicants must have a ‘Working with Children’ card on commencement of employment. The card must be for ‘employment’ not volunteer. For more information about obtaining this card visit: http://www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au

    During the selection process you will be asked to declare associations. An inappropriate association is an association with a person or organisation suspected of, or known to be engaged in, or have a history of, unlawful activity. These associations will reflect on community perceptions of your integrity and ability to use authority with integrity. They may also put you in a position where associates attempt to ask you to forgo your duty or otherwise compromise your integrity as an employee of Victoria Police.

    It is important that Victoria Police are aware of any association or potential conflict of interest which may compromise you or reflect adversely on the organisation. These could be family, friends, members of recreational clubs or other people you associate with. During the application you will be required to declare these. In some cases a management plan may be put in place, in others the association should be terminated. Failure to disclose any information in the applicant process may result in your application not proceeding or subject you to termination of employment.

    Download An Info Pack